Come along with me for a wild ride across the pampas (and mountains) of Argentina.

Mar 14, 2010

An Auspicious Beginning

Esteemed friends, family, and dance partners:

It is with immense pride and pleasure that I announce to you an engrossing new channel for internet-based procrastination, namely my blog!

I should mention from the outset that I'm taking this plunge into 21st-century voyeuristic journaling at the behest of my Momz, who until now has tended more toward fear-mongering than enthusiasm when it comes to the internet (and other dark arts).

Let me set the scene for you.

MOMZ: We'll miss you so much when you're in Argentina!
ME: I'm going to miss you too!
MOMZ: Then you should make a "blog!"
ME: ...now where on earth did you learn that word?

So the principal goal of this writing exercise is to share my experiences in Argentina with all my treasured friends and family, who I'm sad to be leaving while I chase my poncho dream. Now seems like an appropriate time to extend a big fat THANK YOU to everyone who helped see me off this week - thank you coworkers for organizing the surprise party, thank you family and Sam for helping me vacate the apartment, and thank you friends for keeping the atmosphere so festive on my last day in Manhattan.

While my fingers are at the ready, poised to document every calamity and triumph I may encounter in Argentina, actually getting my person there has proven surprisingly problematic. You see, today marked the beginning of monsoon season here in New York, causing a rash of delays and cancellations. At LaGuardia airport most flights, including mine, were grounded, which led to a severe spike in abrasive passenger antics. I admired the pluck demonstrated by Kristi the Delta representative. She did a commendable job fending off the pitchforks and torches (although how they got through security is beyond me) while finding me an alternate route to Buenos Aires. A few graceful key strokes and a discreet phone call, and voila! I had a seat on a later flight... operated by another airline... departing from another airport. Immediately after crossing New York and checking in at said airport, my new flight was delayed for 8 hours. Someplace, where the dulcet notes of a steel drum band float on a coconut sea-breeze, Saint Christopher is sound asleep, snoring in his hammock.

Wish me a safe flight this morning and keep your eyes peeled for upcoming dispatches, hopefully from Argentina!

XOXOXO
B

No comments:

Post a Comment